Looking to expand your career? Join our Team!
All persons are invited to apply for any positions listed for ‘Na Aksa Gyilak’yoo School. An application must be submitted for each new position of interest to the applicant, as NAGK School does not maintain a list of previous applicants.
Current Job Postings: School Principal – Leadership Opportunity
The Kitsumkalum Indian Band is seeking a School Principal for the band’s ‘Na Aksa Gyilak’yoo K – 12, multi-grade classroom, school.
Na Aksa Gyilak’yoo School is certified and accredited by both the BC Ministry of Education and the First Nations School Association. It is conveniently located 5km west of Terrace, BC on Hwy. 16. Our school is situated at the confluence of the Skeena and Kitsumkalum Rivers in the beautiful community of Kitsumkalum.
The local Tsimshian territory plays a vital role in our dynamic educational environment to best serve the needs of the 80 students who attend, and their families. ‘Na Aksa Gyilak’yoo education focuses on collaboration and co-planning to effectively differentiate in a project-based, experiential learning program. The Tsimshian language (Sm’algyax) is foundational throughout our instructional program and is strongly supported by the community and its leadership.
As the senior member of the school’s instructional and administrative team, the Principal is primarily responsible for the overall administration and operation of the school in a manner that is consistent with Kitsumkalum culture. The Principal will oversee the implementation of community priorities, educational programs and plans and will collaborate with council and the FNSA to ensure the educational welfare of our students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishing and promoting high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and behaviour.
- Managing, evaluating and implementing effective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school, consistent with the culture of community.
- Establishing procedures for the selection and evaluation of instructional materials, curriculum and instructional equipment.
- Establishing professional rapport and building respect with students, staff, parents and the community by displaying a very high level of professionalism and ethics.
- Keeping Council advised of pertinent issues.
Ensuring the health, safety and welfare of all students, staff and visitors, and establish procedures that create and maintain an attractive, organized, clean and functional facility.
- Establishing processes, such as meetings, that ensure collaboration and the sharing of information between teachers, parents and the community.
- Maintaining visibility with students, teachers, parents, Council and the community.
- Maintaining required records and ensuring privacy and security of records.
- Completing other duties as assigned within the same scope and job level.
- Respectfully support students, teachers and parents
- Work collaboratively with staff members to meet school growth plan goals
Working Knowledge & Experience with the following:
- FNESC/FNSA Special Education Program
- First Nations School Assessment and Growth Plan process
- Experience with implementing the FNSA Teacher Evaluation policy
Required Education, Certifications and Licences:
- A Master’s Degree in education, or accepted into a Master of Education program
- Work experience in a First Nations School
- Good standing with the Teacher Regulation Branch and current BC Teaching Certification
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
Contact Term: 3 Years
Salary: $90,000 per annum (plus Pension and Benefits)
Reports to: Band Manager
Type: Full Time Indigenous Ancestry, preferred
HOW TO APPLY:
Please forward your resume, cover letter, (with valid teaching credentials), three letters of reference and a signed applicant’s declaration to:
Steve Roberts, Band Manager
P.O. Box 544 Terrace, BC V8G 4B5
Phone: 250-635-6177 (Band Office Reception)
Competition will be kept open until position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those who are under consideration will be contacted.
We are always looking for on-call staff! See list below! Or check back for new postings when they become available!
THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO POSTINGS AT THIS TIME, PLEASE CHECK BACK AGAIN.
All Applicants must sign an Applicant’s Declaration
(Criminal Record Check is required!)
- On-Call Teachers (certified)
- On-Call Education Assistant
- On-Call Administrative Clerk
- On-Call School Bus Drivers (Class 2)
- On-Call Custodian
Contact our administration office for more information: